Saturday, October 18, 2014

Catania to Rome

Monday October 6th

Today was a very long day. We didn't have to check out of the hotel until 11 so we had all morning to sleep in. I on the other hand decided to take my one day to sleep in and wake up at 7 to go to the fish market. Going to the fish market early in the morning by myself was quite an experience let me tell you, mostly everyone was just setting up their tables. I walked through and was looking at all the fish everywhere which was actually pretty cool, they have some massive fish in Sicily I guess, there were also butchers and fruit people (what do you call someone who sells fruit? maybe produce people?) and spices laid out in burlap sacks. Anyway the guys setting up were very excited to see me taking pictures so they were all calling me over to their booths and stands to take pictures of their things. It was a little unsettling to be around all the fishermen by myself when I can't understand the language very well, but it was a really cool experience to get to see all the cut up fish and meats without all the hustle of when the market gets full. I walked around Catania for a little after that taking pictures and then went back to the hotel where most people were finally getting up. Once everyone was up and ready for the day we all went back to the fish market as a group, it was about 10 by this point so the market was much more lively than when I was first there. It was fun to go back when everyone was haggling with each other and interacting, even if I didn't know what they were saying. One butcher saw me taking pictures of him and called me over to take a picture with him so I obliged, while he was a very willing subject of photos some others looked at me very grumpily when they saw me snapping away. It is quite the different experience walking around a city with a group, no one really pays attention to you then, compared to being by yourself, you just feel like people are watching you even if they're not. Sadly we had to leave the fish market to get back to the hotel so we could mosey on over to the airport. There was a little confusion about what bus station to go to and we got slightly separated but we all met up at the airport so all is well. The plane ride was nice and short, thankfully, the bus ride to our hotel though was quite the opposite. We landed in Rome at 4ish and we did not make it to the hotel (which is in Rome) until 8. Lets just say we were all very tired by the end of the day. But being in Rome we had to do a little bit of sightseeing before we went to bed. We took a quick look at some fountains designed by Bernini (if you don't know who Bernini is you should look him up, he was an amazing sculptor) and the Pantheon. After that we finally got some much needed shut eye.
The view from our hotel roof top, which is where we eat breakfast (and watch lightning).
Looking up at our lovely hotel from the ground, so much greenery!
The church in the Piazza Duomo (sp?) ,its super pretty though.
Some fish merchants.
Yum, Wilbur.
A look at the street full of fish and produce people and meat people. There are a lot of streets too, so many.
Grumpy old man smoking, this is pretty much Italians summed up in one picture. Except they're actually all really nice so far (er most of them anyway).
Silhouetted fountain plus sunburst.
This is when I went back the second time. Poor fishy, he lost his body.
Yummy, yummy.
I think this is sheep, but honestly it's hard to tell when they're in half and have no skin so it could be a chicken for all I know.
The now crowded streets.
He wasn't happy about the pictures, oh well.
The guy looking at me is the one that made me take a picture with him, unfortunately Cassandra has that photo or else I would post it.
The Pantheon in Rome, I love Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment