Friday, October 17, 2014

Taormina

Sunday October 5th

Today we went to Taormina, of course this required another bus ride. Since we've been traveling we have all become masters of sleeping on the bus in whatever position going through pretty much any road conditions (I consider this a valuable life skill to have). Any who back to Taormina, it is a really pretty city on the coast (like most anything in Sicily) and it caters mostly to tourists. We went to see the Teatro Greco theater, this theater has the greatest view and actually is still used for concerts and plays. We experimented with the acoustics of the theater a little having Mark stay at the bottom and we went to the very top to see if we could hear him, amazingly we could make out everything he was saying (he just couldn't hear us). I'm amazed that such a long time ago they could figure out how to make such awesome theaters with perfect acoustics, I think we need more of these theaters everywhere, they're so cool. We took a group photo here and a lovely british couple helped us out thankfully. After we visited the theater we were allowed to go off on our own for the remainder of the day. I did a lot of window shopping as I am still not in the habit of spending money not on food here, in other countries it is also vey hard to find stores open on Sundays as most everything closes down. For lunch I went to this Irish pub (yes an Irish pub in Sicily) and had a "cheeseburger", I know I am in Italy and should be enjoying the wonderful pastas and pizzas but I'm forever a butcher's daughter and I appreciate meat (something the Italians sadly do not, at least not like we do). So after two weeks of pasta and pizza I finally had a burger. This burger though was not as I expected (as you might have been able to tell from the quotations around the word), it tasted a bit pasty like it went through the grinder a few too many times and turned into mush and was an odd color of grey. Regardless of the funny taste and look of it I was still very happy to have something I could put ketchup on. Even more interesting than my so-called burger was the dog at the table near us. I can only describe this dog as a cross between the largest dog breed and a lion, I've worked with a lot of dogs and I have never seen a dog like this. This thing was massive, when it stood up it was almost 4 feet tall and the thing had the hair of a lion. It was barking at another dog that looked like a rat compared to it, I have no doubt this dog could've demolished the other one without even trying. What ever breed this is I want one. After I almost watched a dog fight my groupies and I found the public gardens, they were very cool and I wished we had found them earlier I would have spent all day here. The flowers were so pretty and there was a a small wood duck in one of the fountains, he was so freaking cute (you should all know my love of ducks), I couldn't help but take a bunch of pictures of him. We had to leave the city of Taormina and when we got back to the hotel we had to pack to leave for Rome in the morning, I hate packing and we have had to do far too much of it the past two weeks. I will miss Sicily though it is so beautiful here it's hard to leave.
The Teatro Greco, it got a bit bomber during the world wars so it's a little crumbly. And those stands in the front are modern for the concerts and plays they have here.
The view from the theater.
A post is not complete without some flower pictures.
The lovely city of Taormina.
A view of the streets they became so packed with tourists as the day went by it was crazy.
A little kid cooling off in the cool horse fountain.
No holding hands. Actually no bathing suits but I think its funny the other way. Also no eating it says below. Silly sign.
A statue of soldiers in the public gardens, of course there are silhouettes and sun bursts involved.
This pigeon just looked so sassy I had to capture the moment.
Yay cute little wood duck! And then there is Chris' reflection next to it.
Hibiscus!

No comments:

Post a Comment