Thursday, October 16, 2014

Zingaro

Thursday October 2nd

Today was by far the best day in the last week and a half. We went to Zingaro which is a nature preserve in the top most western point of Sicily. It was amazing, I can't begin to describe the beauty of it and how perfect it was. Today was more of a free day for us than a learning one so we were free to hike and swim all day. A small group of us hiked all the way across the park which took about two hours (we were walking quite fast, I'm proud of myself) and then headed back in to stop and enjoy one of the many beautiful beaches we had passed. The beaches were very rocky so walking around barefoot was a good way to cut up your feet but the water was so incredibly blue that you didn't even care about the rocks. I spent a few hours enjoying the water and chasing some fish with the small mask we had. The water was such a blue color I momentarily forgot it was salt water and may have accidentally swallowed some (lets just say I don't recommend that for anyone in the future). I attempted to put a time-lapse together of the beach we were at but I haven't had time to put it together and see if it worked at all. I also made my first attempt at water color, I tried to capture the beauty of the beach and the mountains right behind it but that kind of beauty you can only see in person its just not the same on paper. Again we had to strategically change in public and I had a bee chasing my sandwich (Mark graciously saved me from the bee), but that is the worst I can say happened to me this day. I begrudgingly left the reserve to head back to Palermo where I had to do laundry in the sink (it's hard to pack clothes for two weeks when you are only allowed 22 pounds on the airplane so we all wore many of the same clothes, needless to say they get very smelly with all the humid weather so the bathroom sink makes a break makeshift washer) and left them out to dry. Lucky me, the moment I finished my clothes and hung them out it, it started to rain. I was forced to bring them inside to dry which I have no hope for that actually happening now. And now here are some pictures I know you are all dying to see.
An overlook of Palermo, it looked very dreary at the start of the day but it turned out to be a great day.
This stray kitten was the friendliest thing ever. It sadly was also the thinnest thing also. We couldn't help but give him some love and a bit of food. He followed us everywhere, poor guy.
One of the many wonderful views of the nature reserve. 
Lizard!
That view though!
This is where I spent my time swimming and eating lunch and having a grand ol' time.
Look at that water. You could see the fish without a mask it was so clear.
The name of the beach I was at.
Ana taking the final few steps as we left this little slice of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment