Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Villa Giulia and Borghese Gardens

Friday October 10th

We went to another museum today in the Villa Giulia. This was built by Pope Julius III as one of his getaways. This place was massive, it amazes me to think that this was just the Pope's getaway place. Now it is a museum filled with Etruscan and Roman art, so we had to visit. Museums are vey tiring, I think it's harder to be in a museum for a few hours than to walk up and down hills all day (no exaggeration). There were a lot of cool artifacts in here such as a sarcophagus with a couple on top and some really cool metal work. We walked around for a few hours, it's funny to notice how at the beginning of this excursion we were all taking a million pictures but now we mostly just look at everything. I'm not sure if this is because we are too tired to take anymore, finally realized we'd have to go through them all after, or if we just stopped caring about documenting things that are so similar to one another. After the museum we were free to roam again, some went back to the hotel, other went to the modern art museum, I was museumed out so I went to the Borghese Gardens for some alone time and relaxation. It was so nice to be free of the city and go in the gardens. It was really pretty here too, as most gardens are, and I took a bunch of pictures here (probably because I haven't seen green in a while), and here they are!
The Reclining Couple Sarcophagus.
A neat claw/frog thing.
A cool little fountain thing in the Villa Giulia.
More Villa Giulia.
A praying mantis friend that we were all swarming around.
Look how popular he is.
I chilled at this fountain for a while.
More fountain.
Look at the drips, so wow.
I was really enjoying this fountain.
Duckies!
Dovies!
Turtlies! He has a feather over his eye, I suspect he got in a tussle with a bird.
Look mom muscovys exist in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment