Sunday, October 19, 2014

Colosseum (and other things but most importantly the Colosseum)

Tuesday October 7th

Forget what I said about Zingaro, today was really the best day so far. I mean Zingaro was awesome but nothing can compare to going to the Colosseum. We started out the day visiting the cat sanctuary, our group is very cat oriented. Along with it being a cat sanctuary it is also a historical site of three crumbled up temples, only the very base remain of most of them, and this is where the cats live. How cool are these cats though to get to live in temples that are thousands of years old. Honestly we were more excited about the cats than the temples. We then went to the Palatine hill (which is one of the 7 ancient hills Rome was founded on) and glanced at the massive Victor Emmanuel building, but it was just recently done so it was not one of our stops, this building is very impressive. We saw the Arch of Titus and a temple dedicated to the Vestal Virgins along with the house of the Vestals. For lunch we all split up and my group found this great place with an awesome deal (12 euro for a pizza of your choice a glass of wine and dessert, you can't go wrong with that) and the place had the best view ever, we were eating right next to the Flavian Amphitheater (the Colosseum for those of you who don't know). After lunch we saw the Arch of Constantine (a little less impressive than the Arch of Titus) and finally we got to tour the Colosseum. I can't even begin to describe my awe of being in the Colosseum and being able to touch the walls and columns. Many of you know of my love for the movie Gladiator and I just couldn't contain myself I had to quote a bunch of lines from it and I nerded out and bought a little Maximus helmet pendant (even though I could have gotten a cheaper one outside, it had to be from the Colosseum, I'm weird). I never wanted to leave but we had to, it broke my heart to though. Later that night we had tickets to a light and sound show about Augustus (it is the 2000 anniversary of his death which is a pretty big deal I guess). Before the sound show though I got some great night shots of the Colosseum since it was close by. Oh how I love the Colosseum. It's just massive and amazing, I can't understand how they built something so large so long ago and it only took 10 years (about the same time as those mosaics, now you tell me which is more impressive). I also can't understand how people could have let something to wondrous crumble away and be destroyed, I will never forgive the Holy Roman era for letting this happen unacceptable! Any who enough of my rant and on with the pictures!
Some of the sculptures on the fountains designed by Bernini. The poor horse, the stupid kid won't let go.
You tell that octopus who's boss Poseidon.
Another silly child hanging from a horse.
Water breathing dragon!
A kitty cat from the cat sanctuary.
More silhouettes and sunbursting. This is either Castor or Polux, I'm not sure which.
Arch of Titus (its very super detailed)
Really cool wing sculpture.
My view from lunch (you're all jealous I know).
Arch of Constantine (less cool) (but still pretty cool).
Ahhhhh. The Colosseum. So close.
Eghad! I'm in side the Colosseum. 
Such wow. So Colosseum. (Sometimes I think I'm funny).

The outside of the Colosseum, I really wish the scaffolding would go away.
The Colosseum at night. So pretty. I could stay here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment