Saturday, October 25, 2014

Vatican

Saturday October 11th

Today was a pretty epic day, we went to the Vatican. It's parents week so we were accompanied by a group of 15 or so extra people. It's harder to do things in a larger group mostly because its harder for everyone to keep together, so instead we just set up a meeting point and spot and everyone was free to roam the Vatican museum for that time. This museum is absolutely massive and crawling with people, I have never felt more claustrophobic in my life (not to mention it was really hot and being around that many people when its hot out is not fun). There was so much stuff in the museum too, it was impossible to see everything due to the slow moving crowds and I'm sad to say I missed some pretty cool pieces. Nonetheless we saw some really awesome works of art including the Sistine Chapel (where we were constantly told to shut up and "no photo no video" but that sounded much funnier in the italian accent) and Laocoon and his sons statue among other things. It was really overwhelming to be around that many people and that much art so we were all pretty happy to be out of there around lunch time. After lunch we went to Saint Peters church (which required us waiting in a really long line in the hot sun) but when we finally got in it was amazing. Of course there was also a large crowd here as well so I did my best to walk around and see everything, but I'm sure I missed some stuff. I'm sorry to say that I didn't stay long because after traveling for two weeks and going to countless sites and museums it gets a little repetitive and you lose the wonder you originally had. After the Vatican I headed back to the hotel and took a very long nap as museums really suck the life out of you and one so massive and crowded is the worst. That night though I went out to take some night shots of the Pantheon, Victor Emanuel, and the Colosseum (again). These all turned out really well, my only struggle was at the Pantheon one of the people that walk around and sell things kept throwing up his light up toy as I was trying to take my long exposure shots so the result was annoying lights showing up in my pictures. But I got some good ones without any stupid neon streaks so here they are.
The Vatican from afar.
Laocoon and his sons getting killed by a serpent for trying to warn about the trojan horse.
Mars from Todi.
Painting by Raphael.
Painting by Salvador Dahli.
Mary holding Jesus' body.
Holy foot!
Angel sculpture.
Some of the inside of Saint Peter's. 
The ceiling was so bright gold but you can't really tell from the pictures.
The Pantheon with some stupid lights going through it.
Pantheon without stupid lights.
Yay flowey water.
Victor Emmanuel.
Once again the Colosseum.
I wish I never had to leave here.
It's just so pretty.
Close up of the Victor Emmanuel sculptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment